One of my favorite things to do with sun-dried tomatoes is to make a pesto. That way, I can spread their tomatoe-y goodness on anything I wish, at will. This pesto is vegan, Paleo and GAPS friendly, and a great way to preserve the tomato harvest.
The yummiest pesto is made from tomatoes fresh-picked from your garden and then sun-dried or dehydrated right after harvest. Making your own sun dried tomatoes (here’s how) is the best way to get the most nutrition out of a dried tomato, and it also makes this often pricey delicacy very affordable.
This sun dried tomato pesto is great on eggs, gluten-free pasta or toast, roasted veggies, and even stirred into roasted butternut squash soup. I think you will really enjoy it.
Let me know in the comments!
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
This sun dried tomato pesto recipe is vegan, Paleo and GAPS friendly, and a great way to preserve the tomato harvest.
- 2 cups sun-dried tomatoes (soak in warm water for 20 minutes if using the very dried kind and drain) (How to make your own sun dried tomatoes)
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 small shallots
- 2 Tbsp. pine nuts (previously soaked and dried)
- 1 tsp. Balsamic vinegar (or slightly more to taste)
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, parsley, or both
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Chop the sun-dried tomatoes into small pieces.
- Chop the garlic, shallots and fresh herbs.
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor except for the oil and pulse until even in coarseness, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- Drizzle in the olive oil and continue pulsing until a paste-like consistency. (You may want to use less if using the oil-packed type of sun-dried tomatoes.)
- Store refrigerated for up to one week, or much longer in the freezer.
Courses Condiment, Dinner
Cuisine Paleo, Vegan, Italian
Recommended for This Recipe
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE E-BOOK
50 Ways to Love Your Mother contains 50 simple ways to live a more sustainable lifestyle. Not only will these baby steps go easy on the planet, but they will go easy on your wallet, too. Get it FREE today!