To improve your health and manage food sensitivities, you might be changing your diet, and cutting out cane sugar, wheat and dairy. This can mean missing out on dessert.
So, to meet both your dietary needs and your yen for something sweet and chocolatey, try this to-die-for avocado-based chocolate mousse recipe. It’s so incredibly rich and delicious, you might even like it better than the dairy-based version!
While this recipe will work with regular cocoa powder (or carob powder), I prefer to use raw cacao powder instead. Raw cacao powder is a true superfood. Just 2 Tablespoons contain 170 mg of Magnesium (or 42% Daily Value ), 4 mg of Iron (or 22% DV) and 20 times more antioxidants than red wine or green tea.
So this raw, vegan (or beegan, if you choose!), Paleo- and GAPS-friendly chocolate mousse is not only yummy, but also nutritious and allergen free. It also makes a rich, decadent, dairy-free cake frosting, too!
Avocado Chocolate Mousse
This raw vegan chocolate mousse is both delicious and nutritious. Works as a decadent Paleo cake frosting, too. You'll like it better than the dairy version!
- 2 cups ripe avocado (takes 2-3)
- 1/4–1/2 cup raw honey, maple syrup or date paste (dates puréed with a little water), to taste
- 2 Tbsp. virgin coconut oil
- 1-2 inches of raw vanilla bean seeds, crushed OR 1-2 tsps. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. aged balsamic vinegar (the older the better) OR raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt OR ½ tsp. coconut aminos
- 1 cup raw cacao powder, cocoa powder OR carob powder
- In a food processor or blender, blend avocado, honey/date paste, coconut oil, vanilla, vinegar, and salt/shoyu until smooth and creamy.
- Add cacao or carob powder and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with fresh fruit, mint leaves, or cacao nibs as you wish.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Recommended for This Recipe
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE E-BOOK
50 Ways to Love Your Mother contains 50 simple ways to live a more sustainable lifestyle. Not only will these baby steps go easy on the planet, but they will go easy on your wallet, too. Get it FREE today!