We love a grain free treat around here, but due to health problems, are also trying to reduce all added sugars from our diet—even the wholesome ones, like raw honey.
These grain free, coconut flour chocolate muffins can be sweetened mostly with stevia, so they help you get your chocolate fix with a bare minimum of added sugar.
And with one egg per muffin, coconut oil and fresh nut butter, these muffins are relatively nutritious too.
Coconut Flour Chocolate Hazelnut Muffins
These coconut flour chocolate hazelnut muffins can be sweetened mostly with stevia, so they help you get your chocolate fix with a bare minimum of added sugar.
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil or butter, melted
- 10 Tbsp. raw honey OR coconut sugar OR Rapadura (for a low-sugar option, use 5 Tbsp. sweetener with 60 drops of liquid stevia.)
- 1/2 cup additive-free hazelnut butter (I used fresh-ground hazelnut butter made in my food processor, but almond, cashew or even sunflower seed butter will work)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sifted coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder*
- 2-3 Tbsp. unsweetened cacao powder, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Blend together eggs, oil, sweetener, nut butter, salt, vanilla and cocoa powder, if using.
- Combine coconut flour with baking powder and whisk into batter until there are no lumps. Use a stick blender for speed.
- Pour into greased muffin cups.
- Decorate the muffin tops with nuts, shredded coconut, etc. if desired.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick or fork comes out clean.Enjoy!
*If you need to substitute for baking powder, 1 tsp. of baking powder equals:
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar plus 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch OR
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 cup buttermilk, sour milk or yogurt to replace 1/2 cup non-acidic liquid in the recipe
Adapted from Cooking with Coconut Flour.
Courses Dessert, Breakfast
Recommended for This Recipe
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE E-BOOK
50 Ways to Love Your Mother contains 50 simple ways to live a more sustainable lifestyle. Not only will these baby steps go easy on the planet, but they will go easy on your wallet, too. Get it FREE today!