I’ve made my fair share of banana bread recipes since going grain and dairy free, and, honestly, none of them have been anywhere close to as good as my grandmother’s old recipe using wheat flour. In fact most of them have been either soggy and dense or dry and bland.
Since winter has me indoors more and in the mood to bake, I decided it was high time to figure out how to make a grain free banana bread as light, sweet and rich as the one Grandma taught me how to make. And so I did…
The secret to good texture in grain free baked goods is choosing the right flour, or more often, the right combination of flours. This recipe uses three different flours to keep the bread from being too soggy, eggy or dense. It is also fruit-sweetened, GAPS adaptable and Paleo friendly!
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup almond flour (where to find online)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (where to find online)
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot flour (omit for GAPS/SCD) (where to find online)
- 2 Tablespoons melted coconut or olive oil
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 very ripe bananas (about 1 cup of mashed banana)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, honey or date paste (made by soaking 8-10 medjool dates with a little warm water till soft, then blending)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F/175° C.
- Using a whisk or fork, mix all the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together, and then mix them into the dry ingredients. If needed, you can use a stick blender or mixer to ensure the batter is well blended.
- Oil or butter the baking pan. Add the batter to a baking dish.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until well browned and a knife inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean.
- Mixer or stick blender
- 3"x7" loaf pan or other baking dish (This is the awesome one I use for this recipe.)
Recommended for This Recipe
IT'S EASY BEING GREEN!
50 Ways to Love Your Mother contains 50 simple, “entry-level” ways to live a more sustainable lifestyle. Not only will these baby steps go easy on the planet, but they will go easy on your wallet, too. Get it FREE today!