SFF may receive commissions from purchases made through links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
As a transplant to the West Coast, I had never had a fresh date before. I never liked the hard, withered dry dates in the bulk bin of my local health food store on the East Coast, but fresh, ripe dates just picked from the tree are creamy and sweet, with a crisp skin that tries to slip off as you eat them. This simple spread makes the most of your fresh dates.
- 1 cup fresh dates
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, fresh-squeezed
- 1 tsp. rose water, (OPTIONAL)
- Pit the dates, chop them roughly, and pack them firmly into a bowl.
- Add lemon juice, rosewater (if used), and sufficient pure water to barely cover the dates.
- Refrigerate overnight, then purée using a blender.
- Store in a jar in the fridge.
- Enjoy as a topping for fruit desserts, or as a spread on bread or crackers!