Kids with food allergies often miss out on some of the treats of childhood. But this needn’t be so.
This two-layer birthday cake (and its frosting) are grain-free, nut-free, dairy-free, Paleo diet-friendly, and oh, so delicious!
Dense, moist, and rich, cake made with coconut flour is a marvelous treat. While both its texture and flavor is similar to that of classic yellow cake, this cake is considerably more nourishing thanks to the nutrients in both coconut flour and fresh pasture-raised eggs.
We make this cake on special occasions like birthdays.
This year, my daughter wanted a strawberry cake with chocolate frosting, so first I folded some fresh, minced strawberries into the vanilla cake batter. Then, I doubled my recipe for Avocado Chocolate Mousse and Cake Frosting and applied liberally.
This cake always disappears pretty quickly at our house, and I’m pretty sure it will at yours, too.
Coconut Flour Vanilla Layer Cake
Yield 2 8-inch cakes
This vanilla layer cake and its frosting are grain-free, nut-free, dairy-free, Paleo diet-friendly, and—believe it or not—oh, so delicious!
- 1 dozen eggs, preferably from pasture-raised hens
- 2 cups BPA-free coconut milk
- ½–¾ cup raw honey, to taste -OR- ¼–1/3 cup honey plus 2 tsp. liquid or powdered stevia, to taste
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. flavoring extract of your choice (cinnamon, orange, coffee, almond, etc. OPTIONAL)
- 2 cups coconut flour, plus extra for flouring the pan
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- Coconut oil, for greasing the pan
- ¼–½ cup finely chopped nuts, chocolate chips, minced fruit, etc. (OPTIONAL)
- Double batch of Avocado Chocolate Mousse and Cake Frosting (OPTIONAL)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat the eggs, coconut milk, honey and stevia (if using) together with vanilla and any flavor extracts until smooth, creamy and uniform in both color and texture.
- Sift together the coconut flour, baking powder and sea salt, and add to the egg mixture. Continue to beat until a smooth batter forms.
- Gently fold nuts, cacao nibs, diced fruit, etc. into the batter, if using.
- Grease and flour two 8-inch, round cake pans.
- Spoon the cake batter into the greased and floured pans. Shake them to even out the batter and smooth it out with the back of a spoon or a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before assembling and frosting your cake.
Cuisine Paleo, Gluten-Free, GAPS
Recommended for This Recipe
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE E-BOOK
50 Ways to Love Your Mother contains 50 simple ways to live a more sustainable lifestyle. Not only will these baby steps go easy on the planet, but they will go easy on your wallet, too. Get it FREE today!