If you have food sensitivities or health issues that have led you to give up dairy, grains, or granulated sugar, don’t despair! You can enjoy baking decadent treats that even your non-allergic friends will love.
Over the years, I’ve learned a lot about natural sweeteners and grain-free baking, and have made many treats that are delicious, but there are still desserts I haven’t even tried to make grain- and dairy-free for fear it just couldn’t be done well—like doughnuts.
So you can imagine how utterly delighted I was to discover the veritable bible of grain-free desserts when a friend put a copy of Indulge! 70 Grain Free Desserts into my hands last month.
Once I looked at the first few recipes—and the absolutely mesmerizing photos on every page—I knew this cookbook was not just another take on coconut flour that produced sadly mediocre, soggy, eggy, dessert-like foods.
Oh, no! This one is different.
Indeed, everything I have made from Indulge! so far—from Eggless Lemon Bars to Blueberry Pie to Cinnamon and Sugar Doughnuts—has been as incredibly scrumptious as its beautiful photo promised it would be.
So, if you love to bake, but you don’t eat grains, dairy or refined sugar, I am certain that Indulge! will hit your sweet spot just right!
And if you are on a Paleo or Primal diet, well, sometimes you just want a piece of cake!
The ingredients in Indulge! reflect the principles within these diets: natural, dairy free, low inflammation and grain free. So, here’s a way to actually have that occasional piece of cake—and eat it too!
This rich, dense, grain free chocolate cake will deeply satisfy your chocolate cravings, without the guilt.
I’ve made this cake three times now, each time for people who didn’t have food allergies, and it never ceases to amaze everyone who tastes it.
Who knew grain-free baking could be this yummy?
If you love dessert as much as I do, but have been totally unimpressed with most grain-free baked goods, I strongly encourage you to check out Indulge!
With over 70 recipes for everything from dairy-free chocolate ganache to classic vanilla cake to grain-free pie crust, plus helpful information about substitutions and special ingredients, your gluten-free or grain-free cookbook library just wouldn’t be complete without this valuable resource.
This book is so popular, over 25,000 copies have been downloaded so far, so don’t miss it!
Grain Free Chocolate Truffle Cake
This flourless, dairy-free cake is a cross between a chocolate truffle and a brownie. The cake is so rich only a sliver of a slice is needed to satisfy your chocolate craving!
Get Indulge!, the glorious grain and dairy free dessert cookbook this recipe comes from here.
- 1/2 cup raw honey, (125 mL)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil, (60 mL)
- 4 large egg yolks or 2 large eggs (I recommend 4 egg yolks for a richer batter.)
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk, (125 mL) (where to find BPA-free 100% coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, (125 mL)
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract, (7.5 mL)
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar, (1 mL)
- 1/8 tsp baking soda, (0.5 mL)
- 1/8 tsp sea salt, (0.5 mL)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line the bottom of a 7 inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, cream together honey and coconut oil. Mix in the egg yolks (or 2 large eggs).
- Add to the mixture coconut milk, cocoa powder, vanilla, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Mix until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the spring form pan. Bake for 25- 30 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick is inserted and comes out with moist crumbs. (You want a dense cake when finished so the toothpick should not come out clean.)
- Let the cake set for at least 5 hours before cutting and serving.
- Serve plain or with a recipe of Double Double Caramel Sauce (also in the book)
Recommended for This Recipe
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE E-BOOK
50 Ways to Love Your Mother contains 50 simple ways to live a more sustainable lifestyle. Not only will these baby steps go easy on the planet, but they will go easy on your wallet, too. Get it FREE today!