Does you child have food allergies, or like to play with kids who have food allergies? This homemade, gluten free play dough recipe can be made with your kids, and unlike the commercial brands, it is also chemical free for the safety and enjoyment of all children.
As an added bonus, making your own play dough costs a lot less than the name-brand, chemical-filled stuff—with no packaging and manufacturing pollution!
- 1 cup rice flour (or sub millet or other fine flour. Coconut and nut flours don't work for this.)
- ¼ cup sea salt (makes the dough unpalatable)
- 1 tsp. cream of Tartar
- 1 Tbsp. sunflower seed oil
- 1 cup filtered water
- 3-5 drops natural food coloring (or to desired color. You could also make your own colors from turmeric, beet juice, berries and more.)
- 2-3 drops lavender essential oil (OPTIONAL)
- Mix the flour, salt and cream of Tartar in a saucepan.
- Add the oil and stir.
- Mix the water and food coloring, if using, then gradually blend into the mixture. You will need to use more natural coloring than you would with chemical food dyes.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until mixture is stiff and leaves the sides of the pan clean.
- Set aside until cool enough to handle, then knead gently on a work surface until smooth.
- Store in an airtight container.