Raw Vegan Chocolate Mousse
Since we made a commitment to eating only whole, factory-free foods, and for health reasons we also cut out sugar cane, wheat, dairy, and soy, we’ve been missing dessert a lot.
So, to meet both our dietary needs and yen for something sweet, we adapted this to-die-for recipe from Renée Loux’s Signature Chocolate Mousse.
While this recipe will work with regular cocoa powder (or carob powder), it calls for raw cacao powder instead.
Raw cacao powder is a true superfood. Just 2 Tablespoons contain 170 mg of Magnesium (or 42% Daily Value ), 4 mg of Iron (or 22% DV) and 20 times more antioxidants than red wine or green tea. So this raw, vegan (or beegan, if you choose!), Paleo- and GAPS-friendly chocolate mousse is not only delicious, but also nutritious and allergen free!
Raw Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- Food processor or blender
- 2 cups ripe avocado (takes 2-3)
- 1/4–1/2 cup raw honey, maple syrup or date paste (dates puréed with a little water), to taste
- 2 Tbsp. virgin coconut oil (where to find online)
- 1-2 inches of raw vanilla bean seeds, crushed OR 1-2 tsps. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. aged balsamic vinegar (the older the better) OR raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt OR ½ tsp. nama shoyu sauce (made from fermented soy)
- 1 cup Raw cacao powder OR carob powder (where to find online)
- In a food processor or blender, blend avocado, honey/date paste, coconut oil, vanilla, vinegar, and salt/shoyu until smooth and creamy.
- Add cacao or carob powder and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with fresh fruit, mint leaves, or cacao nibs as you wish.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Shared with Simply Natural Saturdays, Sunday School, Make Your Own Monday, Better Mom Mondays, Clever Chicks Hop, Thank Goodness Its Monday, Natural Living Linkup, Mix it Up Mondays, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, My Meatless Mondays, Homestead Barn Hop, Fat Tuesdays, Family Table Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Traditional Tuesdays, Healthy Tuesdays, Titus 2sday, Tasteful Tuesday, Teach Me Tuesdays, Anti-Procrastination Tuesdays, Gathering Spot, Hearth and Soul Hop, Tasty Tuesday, Tutorial Tuesday, Tuned-In Tuesday, EcoKids Tuesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Healthy 2day Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesdays, Wicked Awesome Wednesday, WWLW, Party Wave Wednesdays, Well Fed Wednesdays, Homemaking Linkup, Seasonal Celebration, Fresh Food Wednesday, Whole Food Wednesdays, Pennywise Platter, Creative Juice, The Mommy Club, Your Green Resource, Simple Lives Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Thank Your Body Thursday, Raw Food Thursdays, Full Plate Thursday, HomeAcre Hop, Gluten Free Friday, Natural Living LInkup, Foodie Friday, Old Fashioned Friday, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Fight Back Fridays, Fresh Bites Friday, Weekend Wellness, Link Love, LHITS DIY Linky, Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. These small earnings make it possible for me to continue writing this blog for you. That said, I only recommend products I genuinely love, and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Thank you for your support!