Grain Free Banana Bread
I’ve made my fair share of banana bread recipes since going grain and dairy free, and, honestly, none of them have been anywhere close to as good as my grandmother’s old recipe using wheat flour. In fact most of them have been either soggy and dense or dry and bland.
Since winter has me indoors more and in the mood to bake, I decided it was high time to figure out how to make a grain free banana bread as light, sweet and rich as the one Grandma taught me how to make. And so I did…
The secret to good texture in grain free baked goods is choosing the right flour, or more often, the right combination of flours. This recipe uses three different flours to keep the bread from being too soggy, eggy or dense. It is also fruit-sweetened, GAPS adaptable and Paleo friendly!
Grain Free Banana Bread
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot flour (omit for GAPS/SCD)
- 2 Tablespoons melted coconut or olive oil
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 very ripe bananas (about 1 cup of mashed banana)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, honey or date paste (made by soaking 8-10 medjool dates with a little warm water till soft, then blending)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F/175° C.
- Using a whisk or fork, mix all the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together, and then mix them into the dry ingredients. If needed, you can use a stick blender or mixer to ensure the batter is well blended.
- Oil or butter the baking pan. Add the batter to a baking dish.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until well browned and a knife inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean.
Shared with Sunday School, Simply Natural Saturday, Better Mom Mondays, Mix it Up Mondays, Make Your Own Mondays, Thank Goodness It’s Monday, Melt in Your Mouth Mondays, Clever Chicks Hop, Natural Living Mondays, Tasty Tuesday, Homestead Barn Hop, Mondays with Countrified Hicks, Fat Tuesdays, Backyard Farming Connection, Tutorial Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasteful Tuesdays, Traditional Tuesdays, Teach Me Tuesdays, Living Green Linkup, The Gathering Spot, Family Table Tuesday, Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Healthy Tuesdays, Titus 2sday, Titus 2 Tuesday, Hearth and Soul Hop, Real Food Wednesday, Party Wave Wednesdays, Wildcrafting Wednesdays, The Mommy Club, Seasonal Celebrations, Healthy 2day Wednesday, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Whole Food Wednesdays, Wicked Awesome Wednesdays, Gluten Free Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Keep it Real, Tasty Traditions, HomeAcre Hop, Thank Your Body Thursday, Creative Juice, Your Green Resource, Simple Lives Thursday, GAPS Legal Thursday, Thrifty Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Gluten Free Fridays, Real Food Real Frugal, Fight Back Fridays, Foodie Fridays, Fresh Bites Friday, Link Love, LHITS DIY Linky.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog, including Amazon.com links. These small earnings make it possible for me to continue writing this blog for you. That said, I only recommend products I genuinely love, and that I believe would be of value to my readers.
Thank you for your support!
MEDICAL DISCLOSURE: Your health is between you and your health care practitioner. Nothing in this blog is intended for the treatment or prevention of disease, nor as a substitute for medical treatment, nor as an alternative to medical advice. Use of recommendations is at the choice and risk of the reader.