Does you child have food allergies, or like to play with kids who have food allergies? This homemade, gluten free playdough recipe can be made with your kids, and unlike the commercial brands, it is also chemical free for the safety and enjoyment of all children.
As an added bonus, making your own play dough costs a lot less than the name-brand, chemical-filled stuff—with no packaging and manufacturing pollution!
- 1 cup of rice, millet or other fine flour (coconut and nut flours don't work well for this)
- 1/4 cup of salt (makes the dough unpalatable)
- 1 tsp. Cream of Tartar
- 1 Tbsp. sunflower or almond oil
- 1 cup water
- A few drops of natural food coloring, though you could easily make your own colors from turmeric, beet juice, berries and more.
- A few drops of a calming essential oil, like lavender (optional)
- Mix the flour, salt and Cream of Tartar in a saucepan.
- Add the oil and stir.
- Mix the water and food coloring, if using, then gradually blend into the mixture.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until mixture is stiff and leaves the sides of the pan clean.
- Set aside until cool enough to handle, then knead gently on a work surface until smooth.
- Store in an airtight container.
- You do need to use more natural coloring than you would with regular, chemical food dyes, and the colors are not exact when you mix them, but they are completely non-toxic and non-allergenic.
GET MY FREE E-BOOK!
50 Ways to Love Your Mother contains 50 simple, “entry-level” ways to live a more sustainable lifestyle. Not only will these baby steps go easy on the planet, but they will go easy on your wallet, too.